Saturday, June 18, 2011

Update on Celiac

So I have a date for the Endoscopy to determine if I have Celiac or not. Oddly enough, I have been almost symptom free since the day we set it up.....WTH?!

Here's part of why (I think): The medication they had me on for my "ulcer" was possibly what was causing all of the GI issues except for the actual stomach aches. I believe this because I stopped taking it when I scheduled the endoscopy because why take an Ulcer medication for Celiac? So Dr. said it was ok to stop if I felt it wasn't helping.

Well not only was it not helping but it seems it was magnifying!! On another strange note, they told me to stop the gluten free diet and eat normal until the test so that it didn't come back inconclusive... Ugh....right? WRONG. I have had two very minor stomach aches since I started eating normal again... Am I taking crazy pills? Gluten was making me so sick at one point!!! So my theory is that I DID indeed have a flare up of my ulcer and foods that had gluten in them were exacerbating the pain. (I have been told that in the past by a doctor. Gluten agitates ulcers so to get them to heal naturally you go on a GF and reduced dairy diet. I have done this in the past and healed the ulcer heal without meds. The symptoms were a bit different this time though.)

So, my hope is that I developed a short term gluten intolerance because of my ulcer but by cutting Gluten out of my diet for the time I did, I had given the ulcer time to heal itself. I don't think it's healed all the way but I am going to have the endoscopy anyway to rule out Celiac for good since this isn't the first time I've had problems with gluten (and I've met my Out of Pocket Max for the year thanks to miss E). Wish me luck. Eating GF SUCKS.

3 comments:

Rin Chheng said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rin Chheng said...

Good luck w/ your endoscopy results =D

Hilary said...

Haha, yeah you need to get EVERYTHING done this year. Hurry up! :)